Two additional COVID-19 deaths have been recorded in St Vincent and the Grenadines bringing the total number of deaths to eight on the island.
This was announced during a virtual media conference this afternoon.
Chief Medical Officer Simone Keizer-Beache says the first death is a 60-year-old woman of Sandy Bay who died at home on February 8.
The woman who was known to be COVID-19 positive, complained of abdominal pain and died. The CMO says this week they received confirmation from the consultant pathologist that the woman’s death should be ruled as a COVID-19 death even though they have not been able to do a post mortem.
The second death was recorded today, a 43-year-old man, who was admitted to the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital on February 10 with symptoms in keeping with COVID-19 and was confirmed to be positive after admission.
The man who had a history of hypertension became progressively ill and was placed on a ventilator earlier this week, however, he died today at 9:40 am.
In addition, the CMO referred to two persons who died in the past few weeks who were COVID-19 positive, saying their deaths were not related to COVID-19.