Minibus operators in St Vincent and the Grenadines affected by the coronavirus pandemic will receive some financial assistance.
These drivers protested recently as they are unable to transport full trips due to COVID-19 protocols regarding the number of passengers allowed in a vehicle.
Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves said on Monday he instructed the Director-General of Finance and Planning and the relevant persons at the Ministry of Works to provide for two months, $500 a month in support for each of the minibus operators with 18 seaters and $600 for those above 18 seats.
He noted that minibus operators will not receive the subsidy if they do not follow the protocols.
Gonsalves said: “You cannot jam up the vehicle with 18 passengers.”
The prime minister added that the drivers must operate at least four out of the five working days during the week as taxpayers cannot afford to pay operators to stay at home.
Gonsalves stated this during the Face-to-Face programme on NBC Radio earlier this week.